I am Linda and along with my husband Richard and our dog Muffin we enjoy our summers on the UK's canal system

Wednesday 7 July 2010

Tuesday 6th July

One more load of washing and then we were off! Up through Caversham, Mapledurham and Whitchurch Locks to Goring. I have to admit that I didn’t see very much today as I was working most of it though when I looked through the windows the river looked much the same as it had 10 minutes before. We stopped at Pangbourne Meadow for lunch where they are very much geared to boats as they have put wooden posts in for mooring to. Pangbourne is where Kenneth Grahame spent a lot of his life and was inspired by the scenery to write Wind in the Willows. Goring Gap was rather pretty so we stopped for a wander round the village though the little shops were interesting but there wasn’t much else to see. We then went through Goring Lock and stopped just short of Cleeve Lock. The pound between the two locks is the shortest on the Thames while strangely enough the next pound is the longest. The mooring is very nice with sheep in the field – as one peered through the window at me I was very glad that we weren’t having lamb for dinner! Millie was brave tonight going out before dusk AND there was a fisherman on the bank just behind us!

No comments:

Post a Comment