I am Linda and along with my husband Richard and our dog Muffin we enjoy our summers on the UK's canal system

Wednesday 24 August 2011

Tuesday 23rd August

I had to walk into Worcester to get a new watch battery – I’ve been lost without my watch. We went for a farewell coffee on Cecilia and ended up by going to the pub for a breakfast or should I say brunch– which was scrummy :-) Penny and Jim helped us go through the locks and then we had to say goodbye. I had tears in my eyes – not because we were leaving them as I will see them again on Saturday but we have had such a good time and I didn’t want it to end :-( We went through the larger of the two Diglis river locks and it is huge – much bigger than the usual river locks. It was a lovely afternoon with sunshine and blue skies – I’m not sure what happened to the dreadful rain that was forecast! We moored up at Upton-on-Severn and went for a walk around the town where there are many 17th Century buildings. The photo above is of a most distinctive medieval church tower topped by an 18th Century cupola in place of a spire and is known as The Pepper Pot. It is the site of the Battle of Upton in 1651 between Royalists and Roundheads as a preliminary to Oliver Cromwell’s victory over Charles II during the Civil War. 12000 men crossed the river here - then, the location of the only bridge across the River Severn between Worcester and Gloucester. Upton is the only town in Worcestershire that has been entered in Britain in Bloom which is by nomination only, following regional 'In Bloom' campaigns. The RHS Britain in Bloom campaign is a year-round initiative, which sees communities the length and breadth of the UK working to improve their local environments. Judging at the regional stage takes place around June/ July; judging for the national stage takes place in August. The results for the UK Finals are announced in September/ October. The competition covers the UK, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man.



No comments:

Post a Comment