I am Linda and along with my husband Richard and our dog Muffin we enjoy our summers on the UK's canal system

Wednesday 14 September 2011

Tuesday 13th September

A much calmer day with blue sky and sunshine. We risked putting some of the plants back on the roof but not my new cauldrons as they only have 3 legs and I’m not sure if they would withstand a big gust of wind! The big troughs are looking very sorry for themselves - the marigolds have taken such a wind beating and have been knocked in the front well plus I took out the blue ageratum yesterday which has left big gaps. The geraniums, fuschia and begonias are still looking good though. Next year I’m planning on having a couple of longer troughs but on reflection that could be a problem if we need to put them in the front well to shelter them from the wind. We set off up the Severn to Diglis Lock where the opening times today are 11am to 1pm. We had hoped to have our diesel cleaned today by the RCR man at Upton Marina who changed the diesel filter on our way down the Severn. However, despite leaving 2 messages, he didn’t get back to us. We got to Diglis Lock at 11.59am (my gizmo is working well!) and had to wait a while for the big lock to empty. When the gates opened out came five narrowboats – the first we had seen all morning! We had the lock to ourselves to go up. We stopped in Worcester for water and lunch and then set off up through Bevere, Holt and Limbcomb locks. On our way up to Stourport I made a quiche and a blackberry and apple pie – its funny how I enjoy cooking so much more on the boat than at home!! When we got into Stourport we moored up on the river moorings outside the Angel pub where, of course, we had to have a drink!

No comments:

Post a Comment