I am Linda and along with my husband Richard and our dog Muffin we enjoy our summers on the UK's canal system

Wednesday 18 July 2012

Tuesday 17th July

DSCF2090Welcome back to my revamped site.  As you can see I have kept myself busy while Richard has been away and not only did I do the blog but my tax return too!  I’ve had a lovely few days with only Friday being wet and managed to catch up on all the washing and ironing – I now have a proper ironing board which makes life a lot easier :-)  It’s been great having Carol and George here at Strawberry Island Boat Club, I have seen a lot of them - they took me shopping on Saturday and I had a lovely roast dinner with them on Sunday.  Carol and I also had a girly night on Saturday with some wine.  We hope to be able to meet up again next year – goodness knows where!
 DSCF2105
Richard got back to Mary H about 5pm on Monday and we set off this morning back to the Doncaster visitor moorings, took a quick trip to Tesco and then headed north.  We stopped at Long Sandall visitor moorings for lunch – it has a very nice BBQ and picnic area there which, I guess, would be really nice on a nice summer’s evening!!!!

Shortly after Long Sandall lock is Barnby Dun lift bridge which gave me such satisfaction last time – just as satisfying this DSCF2108time too!  We soon arrived at the junction of the Stainforth and Keadby Canal (where we came in a week ago) with the New Junction Canal.  When we came this way last week the New Junction Canal was closed as the Don Doors at either end of the aqueduct over the River Don were closed.  As you can see from the photo the aqueduct isn’t much higher than the river and, as the river was in flood, the canal would have flooded if the doors weren’t closed.  We were amazed by the amount of rubbish that was stuck on one side of the aqueduct.

The New Junction Canal was opened in 1905 and links the DSCF2111River Don Navigation with the Aire and Calder Navigation (Knottingley Canal) and was the last canal built in England for commercial purposes.  The canal is completely straight and has five swing or lift bridges – all of which are mechanised thank goodness!  For the boater, the most notable feature is the complicated operation of Sykehouse Lock. The lock is automated but the control system is disabled until the manually operated swing bridge over the top of it has been opened.  We had to operate the lock ourselves but fortunately the lock keeper lives on site and gave us instructions!  We pulled over just below Kirk Lane Lift Bridge for the night.

It’s weigh day again – heck they come round quickly!  3lbs this week which is amazing but I was on salads while Richard was away so maybe that’s the reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment