I am Linda and along with my husband Richard and our dog Muffin we enjoy our summers on the UK's canal system

Thursday 26 July 2012

Wednesday 25th July

We slept with the front doors open last night as it was so hot though it did get a bit chilly about 5am. Millie didn’t twig that the doors were open otherwise she would have spent the night on the bed!

clip_image002Richard was up and about at 7.30am as he wanted to get water before the trip boat appeared right next to the water point. Also we had borrowed a hose pipe from Wandering Star and wanted to return it as early as possible. Richard was pretty sure our hose pipe wasn’t going to be long enough – he was right - the tap must be at least 100 feet from where you can moor the boat!

We set off up to Linton Lock as we had heard that the river was very attractive up there but we were disappointed. The banks are high though there were some nice places. There were lots of cows on the banks and paddling in the river. We got up to the lock and moored up for lunch. Beside the weir is a salmclip_image004on leap and a water turbine. This is a fascinating, though rather noisy, Archimedean Screw Hydro Turbine which provides power for 1,000 homes.

We returned to York and this time moored nearer to Lendal Bridge. We decided to complete our visit to York with a meal out and I found El Gaucho, a steakhouse, on Tripadvisor. Steak is probably the best thing for me to eat when out for a meal as I can more or less work out the points but I don’t stand a chance with things in creamy sauces! Anyway the steaks at El Gaucho were fantastic – I really don’t know when I had such a good one before.

Today was weigh day and I have to report that I didn’t lose anything last week. I’m not really surprised as we have had three lunches out plus three ice creams! Still the main thing is that I didn’t put any weight on :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment