I am Linda and along with my husband Richard and our dog Muffin we enjoy our summers on the UK's canal system

Tuesday 7 August 2012

Monday 6th August

clip_image002We woke up to the sound of rain on the roof – never a good noise :-(  Penny and Jim packed up and left us sadly.  Richard and I have both really enjoyed having them on board and even Millie hasn’t objected!  It worked so much better having both the dinette and the new sofa bed for guests to sleep on – I was always worried before about two people on the dinette which only measures about 3 foot 9 inches!  After they went we spent a bit of time putting away bedding and getting things out that had been put away and soon Mary H was back to normal – though I would much rather that Penny and Jim were still here.



clip_image004
It rained most of the morning so I caught up on the blog and then we set off after lunch.  We passed under a double arched bridge which carries the A59.  It seems that they built a new road bridge on top of the existing hump-backed bridge – I wonder if the thousands of drivers who cross the bridge have any idea of what is under them.  The Greenberfield Locks take you up to the 6 mile summit pound of the canal (478 feet above sea level) and were a joy to operate as they are in such a lovely location.  The 3 locks replaced a 19th Century staircase lock and the remains can still be seen today.

We are now moored at Lower Park Marina in Barnoldswick (or as the locals call it, Barlick).  Richard is going to collect the car from Newark tomorrow and then we are going to have a week’s holiday using Mary H as a base to explore the Yorkshire Dales (we are actually in Lancashire now though when I was at school Barlick was still in Yorkshire).  I will keep the blog up though it might not be daily – I’ll see how things pan out.

No comments:

Post a Comment