I am Linda and along with my husband Richard and our dog Muffin we enjoy our summers on the UK's canal system

Friday 14 September 2012

Friday 14th September

There was quite a gale during the night which isn’t conducive to sleeping – for me anyway, Richard seemed to sleep through it all!!  I was worried about my plants being blown off the roof but they were all still up there this morning though a couple had blown over.   
 
clip_image002[4]We weren’t in a hurry to leave Lancaster so went for a walk up to the see the packet boat house which I had read about.  However I was very disappointed to see it all boarded up and looking very sorry for itself.  The building was used for repairing packet or passenger boats between 1833 and 1843 and held two boats with workshops above and contained a hoist by which boats could be lifted to the upper floors.  The front is skewed to allow the launching of the long thin boats.  The building was made Grade II listed in 1970 and there is a planning application in to convert it into two houses.

clip_image004[4]We left Lancaster and headed south with our destination today being Galgate as we had arranged to meet my cousin Sue there – she is staying with us for the weekend.

On our arrival at Galgate I went off to find somewhere for Sue to leave her car and went to the local pub where they very kindly said she could use their car park for the princely sum of £6.  Galgate Marina wanted £30 (non-refundable) to loan us a key to their special gate!!

Sue arrived about 5pm and we had a very pleasant evening chatting and playing Scrabble.

No comments:

Post a Comment