I am Linda and along with my husband Richard and our dog Muffin we enjoy our summers on the UK's canal system

Saturday 1 September 2012

Friday 31st August

What a strange morning!  We were nice and snuggy as we had set the heating to come on at 7am and the sun was shining but it was very cold outside!  (Just as an aside here we were talking to some people the other day who have recently had a new boat built but it doesn’t have any central heating – why??)
clip_image002It wasn’t long before we got to Lancaster and how pretty it was.  The sun was shining and it all looked really lovely – I can’t wait to go back and explore. The view from the Lune Aqueduct was pretty stunning, apparently you can go right down to the river and look up – hopefully we can do that on our way back too.  We pulled over for lunch at Hest Bank where you can see the sea from the canal though we were 70 feet above sea level.  We debated walking down to the sea but again we will do that on our return trip. 
 
 
clip_image004

We had planned to go home on Sunday after Richard picked the car up tomorrow but we have now decided to go home tomorrow so I decamped (or should that be deboated?) and caught the 555 bus in Carnforth which took me straight through to Staveley.  I sat on the front seat on the top deck - I really do admire the skill of the bus drivers driving along relatively narrow roads, I did have to shut my eyes a couple of times!  I wasn’t too sure where the bus stop was in Staveley but, in fact, it was very close to Dave’s loos (see August 14th for an explanation!).  Dave and Sue were away but I had a key to their house so I let myself in collected the car key and set off to Tewitfield.

The drive down the M6 was uneventful but I would much rather have been steering Mary H along the canal!  Tewitfield Marina is a purpose built hamlet with its own luxury holiday accommodation complex which surrounds permanent and temporary moorings for boats up to 60 feet.  It all looks lovely but the M6 is a stone’s throw away and it is noisy – well on a boat it is as I guess the holiday accommodation has double glazing.

So blog followers we are off home for 10 days.  I will be up and running again, all being well, on Wednesday 12th.  I haven’t been home for 11 weeks and even though I am really looking forward to it, part of me is quite apprehensive about living back in the outside world having been in our bubble for so long.

No comments:

Post a Comment