I am Linda and along with my husband Richard and our dog Muffin we enjoy our summers on the UK's canal system

Saturday 11 May 2013

Thursday 9th May


We left Whitchurch quite early as the forecast was for wind and rain.  A boat came up behind us just as we left so we shared the lift bridges – 5 of them.  Muffin helped to operate the bridges but at the last one he was very naughty.  It started with him standing on the bridge as I wound it up and me just hoping that he slid down my side and didn’t try and jump off the other side!  While the bridge was up a small queue of cars had formed but as they started to move Muffin decided to play “catch me if you can” and ran straight in front of one of them – I screamed and the driver slammed his brakes on, missing Muffin by about a foot!  I think it is going to have to be back on a long rope for him from now on.

Goslings
The wind got stronger and stronger and by the time we got to Prees Junction we were being buffeted everywhere.  We got as far as Bettisfield and gave up as it was beginning to rain as well. 

During the afternoon we were passed by a number of hire boats – I did feel sorry for them as they obviously had to move on whatever the weather.

I spent the afternoon catching up on emails but then had the frustration of not being able to send them.  I do hate being stuck somewhere with no internet or phone signal!
 
John Wonfor
This morning we passed John Wonfor who is a north Yorkshire man who lost his wife to cancer a year ago.  He is on an ambitious journey around the canals and rivers to raise money for Macmillan Cancer Support.  Rather than ‘mope about the house’, John bought an old 16 foot Condor racing catamaran and converted it.  This involved reducing its width to 6ft 10in, selling the mast and decking it out. He also fitted Maggiolina rooftop sleeping quarters, a 5hp Honda auxiliary motor along with his own creation – a Lemco 200-95 electric outboard using an old Yamaha leg powered by a li-po battery.  John has already been to Lancaster and Llangollen and still has Godalming and Thetford to do.  Good luck John.

7.44 miles
0 locks
5 lift/swing bridges

No comments:

Post a Comment