I am Linda and along with my husband Richard and our dog Muffin we enjoy our summers on the UK's canal system

Monday 8 September 2014

Limehouse Basin (Regents Canal) – Sunday 7th September

Our neighbours complained about Muffin this morning in no uncertain terms – I did apologise but it wasn’t really accepted :-)

After a very frustrating morning of trying to upload photos to the blog we walked to the DLR station and set off for Islington where the Angel Canal Festival was taking place.  It was our first time on the DLR – but more of that later!  It was Muffin’s first time on the London Underground and didn’t really like being carried on the escalators but he was quite happy on the train.

Muffin's first underground trip
The festival covers Graham Street and the towpath.  We walked down Graham Street first and came to the City Road Basin where we found Adam and Adrian from Briar Rose.  Adam and I read each other’s bogs and have chatted on Facebook too.  I forgot to take a photo on their boat so tried to take one from the boat they were breasted up to however we came across them on the towpath later so I took a quick snap.  Have a great trip on the Lee and Stort guys :-)

Briar Rose
Adam and Adrian
We walked back up Graham Street grabbing a very nice hog roast on our way and then onto the towpath.  There were masses of people around on a sunny Sunday afternoon all enjoying the fun of the canal.  I love listening to music at events like this and we came across three very different types – an oompah band, Morris men (without the dancers) and a pearly duo singing old London songs (I’m still humming “My Old Man Said Pack up the Van”!)
 


















We wandered back to the underground and headed back to the DLR.  As I said it was our first time on the DLR so we jumped into the front seat (there is no driver) and went to Beckton at the end of the line!  We then got off, walked to the other end and sat in the front seats again and headed back the way we had come!!  It was fascinating as the track is up high and weaves all over the place.



We passed the City Airport and then into Canary Wharf.



 We took a quick walk around Canary Wharf and then took the Thames Path back to Limehouse and the boat – we were knackered!



As I was shutting the side doors the view was lovely so I took a quick couple of photos.





No comments:

Post a Comment