I am Linda and along with my husband Richard and our dog Muffin we enjoy our summers on the UK's canal system

Wednesday 30 May 2018

Brittany - May 2018 (Part eight)

Tuesday 22nd May

If I gave my blog posts titles this one would be ‘There is no point in it’!

Today was a rather cloudy but warm day.

Our destination today was Douarnenez but we were rather disappointed when we got there though I think we probably missed the best part somehow.  In the 18th century sardines became the main catch for the port and canning factories were set up - many remain today but there is little sardine fishing from the port and most of the sardines are brought in to be canned. In 1923 eight hundred fishing boats were based in Douarenez but now there are only a handful. There is a pretty little island, Tristan, just off the mainland which can be reached by foot at low tide.  The island was originally called St.Tutuarn after the priory built there is the 12th century.  The whole area is linked with the legend of Tristan and Iseult.


Our next port of call was Pointe du Van where we parked up and walked to see a small chapel and the lighthouses (as you can see there was quite a sea mist).



There was some lovely yellow gorse which was growing very low.



On our way to Pointe de Raz we passed beside the Baie de Trepasses (Bay of the Dead) where shipwrecked bodies was once washed up - we thought we would give it a miss!!

The Pointe du Raz is rather touristy and attracts 1 million visitors a year! Fortunately in May it was quite quiet.  We had a crepe lunch followed by some rather large puddings!







We then started to walk out to the point stopping at a viewpoint which had been built in an old lookout building.  




I walked with Richard and Penny to where I could see the lighthouses again and then they walked on - my knee was playing me up again - so I walked slowly back to the car where Jim was.  




I saw this Breton cross on the way 



We drove home via Audierne but didn’t stop - we had done enough sightseeing for one day!









No comments:

Post a Comment