I am Linda and along with my husband Richard and our dog Oreo we enjoy our summers on the UK's canal system

Monday 30 September 2024

September 2024 - Stranded on the Oxford Canal

Below Allen’s Lock (Oxford Canal) – Monday 23rd September

It rained cats and dogs during the night so we had a decision to make as to whether or not to stay where we were or move on to Aynho Wharf.  We decided to move.

We went passed the water point at Lower Heyford (BIG mistake) and then on under the lift bridge.  As we approached Allen’s lock we saw a queue of boats and were told that we were 8 and 9 in the queue!  The lock bywash was blocked and water was pouring everywhere.  C&RT were there unblocking it but at that stage we realised we weren’t going anywhere today. 

We moored up and had to breast up as OtM couldn’t get to the side.

We had very little internet but I was able to link onto OtM’s on my phone which was something.

It just poured with rain all day and I had to say that I was worried that the River Cherwell, which runs very close to the canal, might overtop the bank and we would be floating on a torrent of water.  The River was running very fast and could easily have done that.

I was rather worried about sleeping in case something happened, but as it transpired I slept really well.

No photos today!


Below Allen’s Lock (Oxford Canal) – Tuesday 24th September

Well the River hadn’t overtopped into the canal, but the field on the far side of it was a huge lake. 

I couldn’t be bothered to get out of bed, there was no need to!!  However, Richard came in and said that we were moving!  He had found a better mooring further behind us.  He said he didn’t need me but I got up all the same.  It was a better spot and we were able to moor up one behind the other.  We had internet too!!

After lunch we all went for a walk up the towpath to see the lock.  Steve didn’t have wellies so had to go back as the towpath was flooded from the River.  The flood was pretty deep, half way up our wellies and at one stage Ted was swimming!  Rio had refused to go any further so was being carried!  The lock looked pretty normal though there was water coming over the top gate.  




There is very little to write today as nothing else happened!


Below Allen’s Lock (Oxford Canal) – Wednesday 25th September

So here we are again, just below Allen’s lock.  The river doesn’t look any lower and Richard says the towpath is worse!

I really needed to wash my hair and also some underwear.  To try and preserve water I had a “water on, water off” shower with the underwear!  After I had showered I trod the washing, I shut my eyes and pretended that I was treading grapes in some sunny place!  The washing was then spun off and put out to dry.

Big excitement in the afternoon.  Steve and Tracey’s son, Richard, was coming to visit the stranded boaters!  He had a shopping list, but all we were short of was milk and bread.  We had a lovely early evening on OtM with the three of them.  Honestly I think if it wasn’t for Steve and Tracey this situation would be SO much worse.

I rang C&RT today to ask how we were supposed to get water. Her - go on the website and there is a map which gives all the water points where you can get water.  Me - but we have been told not to move.  Her - well go to a shop.  Me - there aren’t any shops.  Her - well there is nothing we can do then.  Very helpful!

No comments:

Post a Comment