I am Linda and along with my husband Richard and our dog Muffin we enjoy our summers on the UK's canal system

Saturday 17 April 2010

Friday 16th April

We woke up to a lovely day but I’m afraid it deteriorated - maybe it was the volcanic ash from Iceland. However it turned out to be a beautiful afternoon/evening.

Millie has decided that tunnels are not scary things anymore. Today as we went through Crick Tunnel I switched the lights on as usual and put her on my knee, she started purring and by the end of the tunnel was fast asleep!! We negotiated Watford Locks just before lunch. I forgot to say yesterday that Foxton Locks go up 75 feet and 2 inches. The Lock Keeper said that the 2 inches were very important – well he was a man!!!! Watford Locks go down 52 feet 6 inches (lock keeper was a woman!) and consist of a single lock, a staircase of 4 and then two more single locks. We stopped just after the bottom lock and I made mushroom soup. We motored on a little further till we came to Buckby Wharf, we went through the top lock then moored up, in the sunshine, just above the second lock for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment