I am Linda and along with my husband Richard and our dog Muffin we enjoy our summers on the UK's canal system

Friday 9 April 2010

Thursday 8th April

As we were moored near civilisation Millie didn’t get her walk this morning. I was rather worried that we might meet one of the many dog walkers who were using the towpath.

Richard and I walked into the village and got our shopping. Alrewas is worth a visit even its only to go to the butchers there! Wonderful local produce and very helpful and friendly people. From Alrewas to Burton on Trent the waterway varies from the Trent to the canal and there are a number of locks which are spaced out about a mile or so apart. Most of them were in our favour so it was a nice easy morning. We decided to stop in Burton as I had broken my glasses so needed to find an optician. The canal goes through a nice part of the town and we moored up at Shobnall Fields where it was a 30 minute walk into town. I forgot to take a photo but it was very boater friendly and lots of daffodils but strangely enough we were the only boat! After getting my glasses repaired we set off along a long stretch without any locks until we came to Stenson Lock which was very deep and a broad beam one – so I guess the nice easy locks are finished now as we get nearer to the River Trent.

No comments:

Post a Comment