I am Linda and along with my husband Richard and our dog Muffin we enjoy our summers on the UK's canal system

Monday 21 June 2010

Sunday 20th June

Today was a day for photos – I took over 100!! We left our mooring and headed west until we could find somewhere to turn round (you can’t just turn a 60ft boat round anywhere!) We went through Little Venice which was very attractive and is basically a large expanse of water where three canals merge. We joined the Regent’s Canal and then everything changed! Firstly we came to Maida Hill Tunnel where there is a cafe above the tunnel entrance. Shortly after the tunnel we started to go through Regent’s Park itself. To start with there were lots of very large houses – it has been difficult to choose a photo from them all! The canal then runs right through Regent’s Park Zoo and we saw a couple of wild boar in their enclosure. The Snowden Aviary is also on the canal bank – I seem to remember that it was state of the art when it opened but it now looks a bit old and a bit of a “has been”!! The canal then makes a sharp left turn into Camden. I knew that Camden Market was on a Sunday but wasn’t prepared for what we saw! The market itself backs onto the canal and there were people everywhere and we could hear so many different languages. It was lunch time and the smell of all the ethnic food was mouth watering but there was nowhere to stop L We went through Camden Lock and were watched by so many people and Mary H was photographed over and over again! There are three locks in Camden and at each one there were less and less people – thank goodness! We had to wait for some time before we could find somewhere to stop for lunch and even then it wasn’t a very good place so didn’t stop for long – it was right opposite the St. Pancras Cruising Club’s marina entrance. The next place we came to was Kings Cross, we passed the station and the canal opened up into a lovely basin so we pulled over to stop for the night. I then spent the rest of the afternoon and early evening working but Richard went for a walk and sunned himself on the aft deck! After I had finished work we walked into King’s Cross and found a very nice Italian restaurant and had a lovely meal. We walked back from the hustle and bustle of Kings Cross to Mary H where she was waiting in a little haven of our own - it was a perfect evening. Millie is now becoming a real boater’s cat! She decided to go for a walk on the towpath but got a bit spooked by a cyclist so came dashing back! A bit later she jumped up onto the roof of the boat and walked right down to the front then jumped onto the towpath and went for a short walk – on her own!

No comments:

Post a Comment