I am Linda and along with my husband Richard and our dog Muffin we enjoy our summers on the UK's canal system

Friday 9 July 2010

Thursday 8th July

Bit of a mixed bag weatherwise today, we got some rain first thing then it turned really hot later in the day. We headed up to Abingdon and had planned on going through the lock to fill up with water then come back down to moor up. However the lock was broken and there was going to be a two hour wait so we turned round and moored up. Abingdon seems to be very pro boats and has lots of mooring, all free and you can stay up to five days which is great as Millie and I are now here until Sunday at the earliest as Richard has gone home for an appointment and to mow the lawn. I was a bit worried that once the lock opened all the boats would stream through and we might lose our nice mooring spot so I rang the local boat hire place and they said we could fill up with water for £2 – bargain!! There was a fisherman next to us so I asked him if he could try and keep our spot. The tank seemed to take an age to fill and I was getting more and more anxious about my “spot” but when we got back it was still empty but the fisherman said he had had to tell one boat that we had only gone to fill up with water – what a nice man :-) Richard and I walked into the town and had lunch at the Nag’s Head which is on Nag’s Head Island though apparently the pub gets its name from the island but no-one knows why! Richard’s younger son, James, was 25 on Sunday so Richard has now put him on the car insurance and from now on James will be ferrying us backwards and forwards when we need it. Richard and James headed off about 4ish so I got out my chair and sat on the bank and read a book. The TV signal here is dreadful so it looks like I will be reading a lot over the next few days! There are two swans here with two very young cygnets. The babies love to ride on Mum’s back and I have to say that I’m spoiling them as they are just so gorgeous – I just want to scope them up and cuddle them!!

No comments:

Post a Comment