I am Linda and along with my husband Richard and our dog Muffin we enjoy our summers on the UK's canal system

Saturday 23 June 2012

Friday 22nd June

Another grey morning some drizzle. However “Scott of the Antarctic” (aka Richard) donned his wet weather gear and set off towards Boston. I’m afraid that I didn’t see much of the trip as I kept my head down in the cabin – offering coffee and words of encouragement occasionally! However it didn’t rain that hard.

As we approached Boston on the river we had a magnificent view of St. Botolph’s Church. The church is one of the largest parish churches in England and has the fourteenth highest church tower in England which is approximately 272 feet high. Strangely enough the church’s nickname is The Stump which seems odd for something so tall!

After lunch the weather seemed to clear up so we wandered into town and on down to look at the fishing boats. The docks are working ones so we couldn’t go in. As we were looking at the fishing boats the rain lashed down but after that it brightened up and didn’t rain again. The river becomes tidal at Boston lock, which is just below us, and the tide was very low so all the fishing boats were sitting on the mud. We had heard that Boston is a very pretty place - maybe it was because it was so grey but it didn’t seem that pretty to me :-(

No comments:

Post a Comment