I am Linda and along with my husband Richard and our dog Muffin we enjoy our summers on the UK's canal system

Friday 20 July 2012

Thursday 19th July

A bit of a grey start but it soon brightened up.  We motored up to Selby, about 2.5 miles, and moored up.  Richard had spoken to the Lock Keeper before we set off and he said that we should be able to leave for York tomorrow about 7.30am!

After lunch we wandered up into town and had a mooch round.  No big names but a fair sized High Street.  Selby Abbey is at one end and is a magnificent building dating back to 1069, however we didn’t go in as we had been to Sainsburys and had two heavy bags as always!

On our return to Mary H the sun was shining so I got out my deckchair and sat and read my book for about an hour – bliss!

clip_image002
Debris on the River Aire
We walked down to the river in the evening and were rather concerned to see that the flood gate was across the lock.  I had also had emails earlier in the day from C&RT saying that the flood gates were shut on the Aire and Calder Canal and the Calder and Hebble Canal due to high water levels.  Still we went to bed early ready for an early start in the morning with Millie moaning as she wasn’t allowed out :-(
I’ve just looked at the BBC 10 day weather forecast and there is no rain on there during the day – wahey!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment