I am Linda and along with my husband Richard and our dog Muffin we enjoy our summers on the UK's canal system

Friday 17 August 2012

Thursday 16th August

It was goodbye to Yorkshire today.  We have had a lovely holiday and seem to have done a great deal.  I have been to places I didn’t know existed even though I lived up here as a child but I guess that, as a child or should I say teenager, I wasn’t really interested in such things! 

clip_image002Lower Park Marina has been a great base.  I had thought we would stay in Skipton for a week but that would have meant traipsing backwards and forwards to the water point and for toilet emptying and, of course, running the engine all the time.  Here we have had running water and electricity which only cost us £5 for 9 days as there was already over £8 on the unit when we got here J  It’s been very quiet, Millie has loved it and the car has been safe.  It has also been good value as we only charged £45 for 10 nights.  I can thoroughly recommend the marina as a base for exploring the Yorkshire Dales.


clip_image004I felt quite sad as we reversed out from our pontoon and we both said how much we had liked it there.  The canal between there and Foulridge (pronounced Foalridge) was covered in a funny green algae which did strange things as we pushed through it.  We had a 20 minute wait at Foulridge Tunnel before setting off through and then we had the 7 Barrowford Locks to do.  We met a boat coming up at the top lock and they told me that the locks were really hard and that a lot of paddles weren’t working.  I think it probably was harder coming up but for us all the locks were full or almost full and weren’t too bad.  We had a brief shop stop in Nelson as Morrisons is right by the canal and even has its own mooring – so I couldn’t resist!

We pulled over just outside Brierfield for the night as we didn’t want to get into the environs of Burnley today.

No comments:

Post a Comment