I am Linda and along with my husband Richard and our dog Muffin we enjoy our summers on the UK's canal system

Wednesday 29 August 2012

Tuesday 28th August

Right now sing along with me -
What a difference a day makes,
Twenty-four little hours
Brought the sun and the flowers
Where there used to be rain.
 
clip_image002We woke up to lovely sunshine though there was a stiff warm breeze but who cares after yesterday and it did help to dry our still sodden wet weather gear!  We only had a few miles to do today – destination Tarleton and then to wait until tomorrow morning when we cross the River Ribble.  We passed through Rufford and I thought the visitor moorings looked really nice and lo and behold “Psychedelic” was moored up there – they are crossing the Ribble on Friday.  After Rufford the canals joins the original course of the River Douglas.  It winds a great deal and I thought I was back on the Kennet and Avon with the reeds intruding into the canal and leaving us very little width of water.
 
clip_image004We moored up in Tarleton and walked up to look at the lock.  It all looked very mundane and not frightening at all – I wonder what it will look like tomorrow at 9.00 am when the gates open – it reminds me of going out onto the Thames two years ago!
 
We walked up into the village – it just seems to be a mass of hairdressers and beauty salons though there was a Co-op, a Spar, a butchers and a delicatessen but we didn’t need anything!  Richard spent the afternoon washing the boat (not sure why when it will get salty tomorrow) and I caught up on my emails.  I was just about to start cooking our dinner when the lady from the boat behind us came up and very kindly told me that they were going to run their engine for a bit.  She was joined by her husband and Richard came up on deck too and two hours later (!!)  they went back to their boat.  It was a very interesting chat and we learnt even more about the UK’s waterways network.  By this time it was 7pm so we decided to go into Tarleton for a meal.  We tried the Cock and Bottle and were very happy that we had and felt it was better than the usual pub meal.  However a three course meal out before weigh day is perhaps not a good idea!

No comments:

Post a Comment