I am Linda and along with my husband Richard and our dog Muffin we enjoy our summers on the UK's canal system

Saturday 14 September 2013

Warwick (Grand Union) - Thursday 12th September

A bit of a sad day as it was our last with Ferndale.  Tomorrow they head up the Hatton Flight to Birmingham and we have a day off before turning round and heading to Barby.

Diane
We left at 10am and had 12 locks ahead of us.  There was a volunteer lock keeper at the Bascote staircase so the gates swung open as we appeared.  I guess he could see that we knew what we were doing as he left us to it after that!  Mind you he was doing a grand job of neatening up the grass on the paths round the locks.

Muffin has now got the hang of the Grand Union lock gates and hops up on the step and crosses the top without any hesitation.  Banjo frightened the life out of Diane and I at one lock as he decided not to cross on the top but just above water level!

Ray
The locks were nicely spaced apart today – sometimes Richard would walk others he would ride.  After Radford bottom lock (I don’t think there is a top one) there is a long stretch of lockless canal through Leamington.  There are some really nice houses with canalside gardens all very nicely kept.

We pulled over by Bridge 46 to go to Tesco – I spent a small fortune but then I haven’t really been shopping since our Tesco delivery in Leicester Marina.
 
Banjo in his usual place
There were just two locks left to do and I felt extremely sad as we closed the gates on the last one.  It’s been great fun cruising with Ray and Diane and Banjo of course.  We will miss them and I know Muffin will too. 

We decided to go for a last supper at the Cape of Good Hope – I felt it was rather appropriate!  We had a very nice meal and if you check in on Facebook while you are there they will give you 50p off a pint of beer!
 
and not forgetting Mike
I am also really sad that I didn’t take any photos today – not even in the pub so I will put some on today of our new good friends who we hope to see again sometime.  (Don’t forget the offer of some landlubbing you three!)

 
Long Itchington to Cape of Good Hope
9.42 miles
12 locks

No comments:

Post a Comment