I am Linda and along with my husband Richard and our dog Muffin we enjoy our summers on the UK's canal system

Thursday 11 September 2014

Limehouse Basin (Regents Canal) – Wednesday 10th September

I got up and dressed in my lycra ready for our trip to the Olympic Village but then decided that I couldn’t impose the sight of me in lycra on the good people of London!!!

The Aquatic Centre
Olympic Stadium
We took the DLR up to Stratford and then walked to the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park. 

It was the opening day of the Invictus Games today and by the time you read this you will probably know all about it so I won’t go on.  However I have taken the following off their website which, I think, says it all.  “The Invictus Games are about survival in the face of adversity and the strength of the human spirit. They will send a positive message about life beyond disability.” 


Fountain
As we entered the park we saw the stadium in front of us and the Aquatic Centre on our left - we tried to peer in the window but it was rather difficult and couldn’t see very much.  We had a cup of coffee watching the marvellous fountain with its 195 individual computer controlled jets – there were even a few brave children playing in the water.
  
ArcelorMittal Orbit

From there we walked to the ArcelorMittal Orbit which is probably more iconic than the stadium in the Olympic park.  Sadly dogs aren’t allowed up so Richard stayed down while I went up and was able to tick another thing off my bucket list!  It was as amazing as I had hoped it would be and was even better as I had a lovely view of the Invictus arena where they were rehearsing for the opening ceremony.


Invictus Games Arena
The views from the top were spectacular and I could have stayed up there for hours just looking but I was all too aware of a lonely husband on the ground waiting for me.

The Aquatic Centre
A lonely duo
I was able to spot where we had been on Saturday – we were so close to the Park yet so far.


We were down there on Saturday
We had lunch not far from the Invictus arena and spotted Claire Balding – but were shot down when a lady told us that she had seen Prince Harry on a bicycle earlier!



After lunch we took a stroll across to the Velodrome through the park – it is lovely and you could easily forget that you are in the middle of London.  They have planted a lot of wild flowers and plants but I just hope they look after it and don’t let it get too wild.

The Velodrome

The map we had showed that we were closer to Stratford International Station this time so we caught the DLR back to Limehouse and Mary H.

Interesting flats
What is it?
If anyone happened to see the One Show last night, this is the pod that they were broadcasting from.



Just before I close here are a few facts about the Orbit.  It is Britain’s largest sculpture and was made from 2,240 tons of steel – more than half of it recycled.  1,200 tons of the steel used was recycled – equivalent to 660 cars.  On a clear day you can see for 20 miles.  35,000 bolts hold it together.  19,000 litres of paint were used to paint it.  It would take 954 steel drink cans stacked on top of each other to reach the top!  And it all came about after a chance conversation between Boris Johnson and Lakshmi Mittal of ArcelorMittal in a loo!

No comments:

Post a Comment