I am Linda and along with my husband Richard and our dog Muffin we enjoy our summers on the UK's canal system

Wednesday 21 April 2021

Lloyd's Farm Bridge No 3 (Ashby Canal) – Tuesday 20th April

I can’t believe that we have another gorgeous day.  If we are to make it back to Dunchurch Pools on Thursday, we have to stick to the CanalPlan route which tells us to moor just before the end of the Ashby tonight. 

I have to admit that even though it has been a lovely day I have felt about 5° under, no energy and tired   I don’t know why as usually when the sun shines I am full of joys of spring.

We stopped at Bridge 23 to visit Spinneybank Farm Shop.  All I wanted was eggs but managed to spend £35!  Not only were there usual wonderful selection of meat but also of vegetables too.

There were about 6 calves in a field next to the shop, these two were very nosey.


We moored up at the last mooring spot on the canal and settled down to our last night on the Ashby.

Our mooring is by a village called Marston Jabbett.  An intriguing name which was mentioned in the Domesday Book as having 21 households with 12 villagers, 8 smallholders and 1 female slave!

I found these two photos on the Ashby Canal Trust website.  What an amazing transformation.


Its 5 years since we were last on the Ashby and I do remember that the weather wasn’t brilliant except for the day we visited the Bosworth battlefields.  This year we have been really lucky with no rain but last week there was a chilly wind.  Since Saturday though the weather has been really lovely.  The mooring on the Ashby is amazing, there is so much of it on armco, I really felt like pulling in every few miles as the views were so lovely.  I feel that the top part of the canal is the nicest.  The Ashby is so local for us so we will do it again, but I would like to take longer next time.

13.9 miles


No comments:

Post a Comment