I am Linda and along with my husband Richard and our dog Muffin we enjoy our summers on the UK's canal system

Friday 13 May 2016

Ham Manor Marina (Kennet & Avon) – Wednesday 11th & Thursday 12th May

I didn’t bother to blog yesterday as there is only so much you can say about being in a marina on a wet day!

But today is another day and the sun shone all day :-)  We have now heard that our alternator should be fitted tomorrow and that the lock should be open tomorrow too HOWEVER both the River Kennet and the River Thames are on RED boards so no-one can go anywhere anyway!!
  



I did two loads of washing this morning making the most of the lovely weather.  I can’t hang washing outside in the marina but as we have our pram cover up I was able to hang in all out there.  With the side rolled up (back down) it was the perfect place to dry.

We took a walk into Newbury town along the towpath.  I have to admit that I didn’t know that we could do that!  Ham Manor Marina is on the non-towpath side of the canal but it we walk up to Tesco we can cut through to where the towpath changes sides.  It was a lovely walk and boy was the river running fast – especially in the middle of Newbury where it always runs pretty fast anyway!  We had lunch outside a nice coffee shop in a little alley way and then I went searching for Lakeland and found an amazing shopping precinct with a large Debenhams and John Lewis at Home plus lots of other well know shops.  I was really surprised – twice in one day!!  One of the reasons that we come back to Newbury each winter is that I really like the town and now I like it even more!  Just need to return without Richard and Muffin now!!  I could so easily live in this area but I would imagine that the price of houses in pretty high.
  



It was then a very lazy day – I managed to finally catch up with all the blogs that I read and also a small inroad to a pile of magazines I brought from home.

So I wonder what tomorrow will bring?  What would be nice is a new alternator, mended lock and the river levels to go down but it will be Friday 13th!!!!

I’ve borrowed a few photos today from the Newbury Boat Company’s website as they are much nicer than mine.  If anyone is looking for temporary or permanent mooring on the K & A then please do consider Emma and Derek.  They are lovely, lovely people and so helpful.  

3 comments:

  1. I should have been giving you Newbury top tips. have you been out to the Red House to eat?? Not to be missed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Comp,steely agree,about Ham Manor Marina and Emma,and Derek. Also great place for a Winter Mooring,

    ReplyDelete