I am Linda and along with my husband Richard and our dog Muffin we enjoy our summers on the UK's canal system

Tuesday 17 May 2016

Wargrave (River Thames) – Monday 16th May

A lovely bright and sunny morning.

We set off just before 10am and headed to Fobney Lock.  It was then down onto the River Kennet for our journey through Reading.  I was rather worried about County Lock as I had heard all sorts of scare stories about the current but in fact it wasn’t a problem at all.  I had heard a story from Mrs. Tippy yesterday that a hire boat had gone into County Lock and the hirer had abandoned ship!  Strangely enough there was an abandoned hire boat above Fobney Lock so maybe this was a case of Chinese whispers!

 
Abandoned hire boat
Lock waiting at Fobney Lock
We went round into Forbury Loop by the jail and moored up as I wanted to go into town.  We have been round the loop before but never moored – it is lovely round there and only a stone’s throw from the shops :-)  I managed to get myself a new pair of trousers – well maybe two and a top – and found quite a large Sainsburys (for an in town one) and got all my shopping.  Sue on Festina Lente had said that the moorings outside Tesco on the Thames was full of permanent moorers so I was pleased to get my shopping in town.
  
The weir at County Lock



Back to Mary H for lunch and then out onto the Thames :-)  We finally made it at 1.40pm over nine days from originally leaving Newbury.  It was then up to Better Boating for diesel (battling the stream all the way – just glad we are going down stream) then a turn around and off down towards London.  By the way, there were a couple of spaces outside Tesco!
  
How about those solar panels?
Having been told by Festina Lente that they didn’t find many Lockies on duty both Sonning and Shiplake Locks had them!
  



We pulled over at Wargrave Marsh and sat out on the rear deck in the evening sunshine :-)


10.18 miles
5 locks

No comments:

Post a Comment