I am Linda and along with my husband Richard and our dog Muffin we enjoy our summers on the UK's canal system

Wednesday 20 July 2016

Apsley End Bridge (Grand Union) – Tuesday 19th July

A much cooler night than anticipated thank goodness.

We were thinking about moving when a boat came up the lock behind us so we tagged along with them all day.  The crew of Molly Ryan (I didn’t get their names) had been going since 7am and were keeping going until it got too hot.  We thought we would only do about 5 locks but as we got into a good rhythm we went on for 9.  Also there were no moorings in the shade – I’m not going to say anything more after yesterday’s rant!

I would love a flat in Grove Mill.
  


We passed under Grove Bridge which was built so ornately at the behest of the land owner as it led to his mansion.




The rest of the trip is a bit of a blur as it was so hot.  With 3 people doing the locks I have to say that I ducked out of doing a few!

We stopped just above the lower Apsley Lock as did Molly Ryan.  But me being me had to go and see it there was a better spot above the next lock and I found one.  The first mooring was opposite a building site whereas now we are opposite some nice flats. 


And this is our noisy neighbour!
  


Richard walked up the canal a bit into Apsley Basin and discovered a pizza place so guess where we went for dinner?  It was nice not to have to cook in this heat.
  


 5.24 miles
10 locks

No comments:

Post a Comment