I am Linda and along with my husband Richard and our dog Muffin we enjoy our summers on the UK's canal system

Saturday 10 September 2016

Aynho Wharf (Oxford Canal) – Friday 9th September

Our journey south continued this morning.  I took the boat through the lift bridge and into the lock.  When we first started I wouldn’t do the lock in Banbury as there are always so many gongoozlers but today I did it perfectly, Richard gave me 10 out of 10 but there was hardly anyone there to see it!


Richard was locking today which gave me the opportunity to take some photos – it’s the only time I seem to remember to take any.  This is Kings Sutton Church from Grant’s Lock.



Passed the Pig Place – we really will stop one day and onto Nell Bridge Lock.  The lock cottage seems to fall into more and more disrepair each time we go passed it.



Just after Nell Bridge Lock the rain poured down but it had stopped before we got to Aynho Weir Lock – less than ½ a mile.  Another boat was waiting to go down Nell Bridge Lock after us and the skipper suggested that we both go through the diamond shaped Aynho Weir Lock together – quite why we didn’t understand but how could we say no!  The lock was empty and the gate open when we got there so we went in and waited – thank goodness the rain had stopped!  Anyway we both got in with bags of room to spare and went down – all of 8½ inches!  The lady of the boat said that they hated the diamond shaped locks – I’m still trying to work out why!




We pulled over at Aynho Wharf - I spent the afternoon crocheting but I think Richard and Muffin were exhausted!



We went to the Great Western Arms for dinner where we had met Paul Macey and his lovely wife Elaine, last year.  If you are a regular reader of my blog, then you will know that Elaine sadly died a few weeks ago so we drank a toast to her.


6.85 miles
5 locks

No comments:

Post a Comment