I am Linda and along with my husband Richard and our dog Muffin we enjoy our summers on the UK's canal system

Sunday 11 September 2016

Deep Cutting Bridge 198 (Oxford Canal) – Saturday 10th September

We woke up to rain but it wasn’t unexpected.  We had a lazy morning – I won’t tell you what time I got up but it was in time for lunch!!!

The rain stopped about 2.30pm so we set off.  It was one of those horrid damp days and I would have more than happy to stay put in Aynho but if Richard wanted to move on and stand outside then that’s OK with me.

As we approached Somerton Deep Lock I noticed two large fir trees had fallen down – fortunately onto the bank and not across the canal. 



I noticed that the lock cottage had a Wendy house in the garden that went over the lock race.


The lock cottage itself is disappearing under a mass of ivy.


Then is was down into the depths of lock.  I had to take the obligatory photos!!



We pulled over a short distance after the lock on a lovely field where we have stopped on a number of occasions.  As promised the sun came out about 6pm.

Oxford Narrowboats at Lower Heyford must have been busy as a steady stream of their boats passed us all late afternoon/early evening.

It was the last night of the Proms and I took full advantage of not having any neighbours!  We have started playing the TV sound through my Bose IPod dock and the sound was amazing.

2.77 miles
1 lock
1 lift bridge

No comments:

Post a Comment