I am Linda and along with my husband Richard and our dog Muffin we enjoy our summers on the UK's canal system

Saturday 15 August 2020

Swinford Meadow (River Thames) – Friday 14th August

Penny and Jim were to leave us today and move on to Cheltenham to visit their daughter, my niece (!), Amy and husband Chris. But first Penny was going to take me to Waitrose to stock up on fresh food. Back at the boat we had lunch and then they wended their way back across the field, for the last time, and off to Cheltenham.



We moved 0.2 mile upriver and moored up on the meadow. 


It was a real yukky afternoon, so we hunkered down to watch Escape to the Country and then two episodes of Holby City which we had missed (one, apparently a very sad one, to go).

We were supposed to be having a visitor on Sunday who we were meeting at Lechlade, but we realised that there was no way we were going to get there and, anyway, the forecast for Sunday is not good. A couple of messages later and we hope to meet him down river somewhere. A real disappointment for us ☹

Just opposite us is a tree which is growing out of the river. I can’t help but wonder how it managed to get there. I’ve looked online for some information but I can’t find anything so I will just have to wonder a bit more.



You may have noticed that I have put a very precise mileage down for today. After a lot of thought I bought Waterway Routes along with Memory Map to run it. It has taken me a long time to understand it but with the help of Brian Holt (NB Harnser) and the help team at Memory Map I think I have it sussed! The only thing it doesn’t do is count the locks which is a bit of a disappointment, but the maps are very informative and I’m glad that I bought it.



0.2 miles 
0 locks




No comments:

Post a Comment