I am Linda and along with my husband Richard and our dog Muffin we enjoy our summers on the UK's canal system

Wednesday 14 August 2013

Poole Aqueduct (Trent & Mersey Canal) – Tuesday 13th August

We said goodbye to the Macclesfield Canal today.  We have really enjoyed it though in places it is rather overgrown but, on the whole, the scenery is lovely and I really look forward to returning one day.

We left our mooring and passed through Congleton, finding a much nicer mooring place on the other side of town but it was a long way from the station and I guess didn’t have the view that we had.  The canal from Congleton to Hall Green Stop Lock was very overgrown and dark, so I stayed down below.
 
Ramsdell Hall

We passed Ramsdell Hall which was built in two phases during the 18th century and is still in private ownership.

Hall Green Stop Lock
We went through the stop lock and onto the Trent & Mersey though in my mind we were still on the Macclesfield as we hadn’t yet got to the junction.  We moored on the Poole Aqueduct – that’s three consecutive nights on an aqueduct!  We had decided to leave early in the morning to go through Harecastle Tunnel as we have heard horror stories of long queues.

Looking down from the Aqueduct to the locks on the Trent and Mersey
Looking the other way!
 Richard seemed to spend the afternoon toing and froing from Mary H to the station to find the shortest way as I was going to Crewe to spend the evening with my cousin, Sue.  My train was at 17.45 so we walked up to the station in plenty of time for the train.

I had a very enjoyable evening with Sue and then returned to Mary H.
 
The moorings on the Aqueduct

The Aqueduct
Biddulph Aqueduct to Poole Aqueduct
6.15 miles
1 lock

No comments:

Post a Comment