I am Linda and along with my husband Richard and our dog Muffin we enjoy our summers on the UK's canal system

Tuesday 25 April 2017

Laleham (River Thames) – Monday 24th April

Woke up bright and breezy but went a bit downhill as the day progressed!

We left Shepperton with Thames Court buzzing with white van men!  Lorries arriving with stuff – it was a bit like DIY SOS!  Inside Thames Court there is a lovely old staircase – one of the lorries was a staircase company from Llanelli – I only hope there is a second staircase somewhere that is being replaced.



It was then just a short hop back up to Laleham so that our trip to Windsor will be shorted tomorrow.  I really don’t like any of the moorings between here and Windsor so we normally do it in one day.

The Laleham moorings are opposite Harris Boatbuilders Ltd.  The building is looking rather sad but various boaty companies are on the site now.  The only reference I can find to Harris Boatbuilders building anything is Woodland Lily.  It would appear that they built the hull in 1972.  Woodland Lily is 41 foot 6 inches overall with a 7 foot beam.  She has a counter stern, and aft saloon with 2 berths.  She was made in carvel mahogany. Carvel planking is a method of boat building where hull planks are fastened edge to edge, gaining support from the frame and forming a smooth surface. 

Woodland Lily



Richard got on with the roof while I sat in front of the fire, watching TV and crocheting.  The good part is that I have finished one blanket now 😊

I had an email from a “close family member” this evening.  She said “What WERE you thinking of?!  Getting smashed in the first place, and then PUTTING IT ON THE INTERNET”.  So I thought I would address this as maybe some of my other readers are thinking the same.  This is a blog – a diary of what we do and where we go.  If I hadn’t put that on, then my blog wouldn’t be a true record.  I am not proud of myself but it really wasn’t ALL my fault!!


3.23 Miles
1 Lock

No comments:

Post a Comment