I am Linda and along with my husband Richard and our dog Muffin we enjoy our summers on the UK's canal system

Sunday 26 July 2015

Above Eynsham Lock (River Thames) – Saturday 25th July

I can assure you that it was not my idea to leave at 8am!  I set the alarm for 7am and we were, in fact, ready to leave at 7.45am.  We hadn’t had breakfast but intended on having it while we filled with water.  Up through the lock with VL Sue on duty.  We managed to squeeze the three boats in but Ferndale had to have her nose between the other two’s backsides.  We all did the necessaries at the services and then continued on.

As I now have a nice new sink, hob and oven I am determined to keep them clean so took the opportunity to do just that.  The hob has a glass top and isn’t the easiest of things to keep clean but I bought some Hob Brite that I use at home and it seems to have done the trick.

Ferndale caught us up at Sandford Lock and as we left Richard suddenly put Mary H into reverse.  There was a Labrador swimming for all he was worth from one bank, where his owner was, to the other.  Thank goodness Richard saw him otherwise there could have been a nasty accident.

Going under Osney Bridge in Oxford
In Oxford we found a lady punting who was having problems and she asked us to let Salters know as we passed.  We did so and I have to say that they sprung into action to go to her aid.

We finally caught up with FL at Eynsham Lock.  The lock was on self service but Sue and Andy did it for us.  We moored up just a little way above the lock – a lovely spot for the three boats.  We sat out on the bank in the sunshine but sadly it didn’t last long and we retreated inside.  The field we are in has recently been cut for hay and there are now a herd of cows with their calves and heifers in there plus a bull.  They haven’t bothered us but at times it’s a bit like a Western with a trail of cattle walking across it – just needed a cowboy or two!

15.48 miles
7 locks

No comments:

Post a Comment